As you know, Saudia Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, with U.S. backing and support, have waged a brutal war on Yemen since 2014 with horrifying results:
- The war’s staggering death toll of over 100,000 people.
- The worst humanitarian crisis anywhere in the world according to the UN.
- An estimated more than 24 million people in the country, which was already one of the poorest on the planet prior to the war, in need of humanitarian assistance in 2021.
- Stop all foreign aggression on Yemen.
- Restore all foreign aid to Yemen and reverse the Houthi foreign terrorist designation.
- Lift the blockade on Yemen and open all land and seaports.
- Stop arming Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
During his Senate confirmation hearing on Tuesday, Secretary of State-designate Anthony Blinken said President Joe Biden’s administration would end U.S. support for Saudi Arabia’s military intervention in Yemen. That’s great, but the new Biden administration has hundreds of issues pulling at its sleeves. We need to make sure the voices for Yemen are heard loud that the time for action is now to ease the tremendous suffering.
Please urge President Biden to fulfill this promise made and change the U.S. course on Yemen ASAP. Click to send a pre-written email message -- it only takes a minute to do.
The United States is uniquely positioned to be able to ease the suffering in Yemen. As newly elected President Biden works to undo some of the worst policy courses, Yemen should be at the top of his foreign policy list. The reasons go on and on.
In addition to those that perished as a direct account of the fighting, thousands more civilians have died from preventable causes, including malnutrition, disease, and poor health.
Almost 10 million Yemenis are considered "one step away from famine."
An estimated 2 million children are acutely malnourished, including almost 360,000 children under five years old who are struggling to survive.
With only half of the country's 3,500 medical facilities fully functioning, almost 20 million people lack access to adequate healthcare. And almost 18 million do not have enough clean water or access to adequate sanitation.
The urgency is real. Yemen truly can’t wait a minute longer. Urge President Biden to fulfill his promises and change the U.S. course on Yemen ASAP.
Thank you for working for peace in Yemen.