In the wake of the first anniversary of the violent insurrection at the US Capitol that tried to overthrow the outcome of the 2020 Election, the efforts to undermine US democracy continues. it is urgent that laws be passed to protect our most sacred right, to vote!
Click below to email your US Senators NOW to urge them to co-sponsor, and actively promote four key bills to protect and preserve our democracy. If possible, also call their office via the Capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121. Senator Schumer has announced he will bring the first two bills below to a vote by January 17, the official Martin Luther King holiday.
Click here to email your two US Senators NOW. You are encouraged to personalize the words in the email if you have time.
- Freedom to Vote Act - the most significant voting rights and anti-corruption bill in generations, will protect the freedom to vote for all Americans, stop partisan gerrymandering, limit the influence of dark money so that billionaires can’t buy elections, and prevent partisan politicians from sabotaging future elections.
- Requires national standards to protect the right to vote and against extreme gerrymandering
- Eliminates voter purges
- Requires no excuse mail in voting
- Eliminates witness/notary for absentee ballots
- Limits the ability to retaliate against election officials by politicians
- Limits the ability for election watchers to challenge voters
- John Lewis Voting Rights Act - restores and strengthens our freedom to vote by making sure that any changes to voting rules that could discriminate against voters based on race or background are federally reviewed, so we all have an equal say in our future, and our rights are protected.
- Restores the preclearance instituted by the 1965 Voting Rights Act, requiring federal approval for new voting laws
- Protecting our Democracy Act - a historic pro-democracy-for-all package, will create and strengthen guardrails to prevent the abuse of presidential power and restore fundamental checks and balances in our government.
- Limits presidential pardons
- Eliminates presidential bribes by holding them accountable to federal law regarding emoluments
- Prevents foreign interference in our elections
- Protects whistleblowers
- Statehood for D.C. - provides equal voice to the residents of Washington DC and ends more than 200 years of taxation without representation.
- Allows Washington, D.C. to call up the National Guard without federal approval
- Provides citizens in Washington D.C. federal representation
Please take these simple actions NOW, as the continuation of US democracy is at grave risk!